Great Tips from a Great Dentist in Santa Fe
What a better source to get dental health tips from than a great dentist in Santa Fe? Dr. Haley Richey has been caring for patients for a long time. As usual, she has some excellent tips on how to keep your teeth and gums in the best shape ever. Regular maintenance and good habits are crucial when it comes to having a healthy smile. Here are some tips that will help keep your mouth fresh and clean as a whistle.
The American Dental Association recommends brushing the teeth two times a day with a soft toothbrush. If your dentist recommends that you use a firmer brush, of course, you should listen to them because each person has specific needs. In any event, regular brushing helps to keep the teeth and gums free of food particles and bacteria that can build up and cause problems. Sometimes over brushing, or using a brush that is too firm can cause the surface of the teeth excessive wear. When brushing the teeth try to:
- Hold the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle towards the gumline
- Move the brush back and forth gently in short strokes
- Brush the outer surfaces as well as the inside and the chewing surfaces of every tooth
- Get behind the front teeth
- Be sure to brush your tongue
Regular flossing helps to protect the teeth and gums from damage caused by debris stuck between the teeth that the toothbrush can’t reach. In fact, removing plaque and bacteria can greatly reduce health risks such as heart disease and even dementia. After brushing the teeth use dental floss and make sure you take the time to really get in there and clean it up. Here are a few tips on how to floss:
- Get around 18 inches of floss and wrap it tightly around the fingers
- Hold the floss tightly and gently push it between the teeth
- Curve the floss into kind of a “C” shape and pull across the side of the tooth
- Gently rub the floss up and down keeping it against the tooth
- Floss every tooth thoroughly
Regular Dental Checkups
Brushing and flossing alone are great, however, most people need the help of a dentist to ensure the highest level of health. El Dorado Dental is home to a fantastic Dentist in Santa Fe. In fact, the whole El Dorado Dental team is passionate about helping people stay as healthy and happy as they can be. Contact us and schedule an appointment today.